Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG developed by Airship Syndicate and released on October 3, 2017. It is based on the Battle Chasers comic book series written and penciled by Joe Madureira. Since October 10, 2015, the game has been fully funded on Kickstarter and was being backed on Battle Chasers website's store for a period of time, but funding has since closed. The game has been greenlit on Steam Greenlight.
2D animated game cutscenes are produced by Powerhouse Animation Studios.
Players will start their journey in the desolate town of Harm's Way. After choosing three heroes that have been unlocked, players will need to equip them with abilities and equipment. Players will need to stock up their backpack before heading out on their journey. Players will explore The story is discovery driven, using lore, landmarks and secret elements found by players as they explore The Lost Continent, an overworld peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and meet randomly generated NPC's. Players will receive lore points received from discovery to upgrade the heroes different abilities.
The dungeons are also randomly generated and are loaded with puzzles, traps and other secrets. Players will need to use each hero's abilities to survive.
The game's main character, Gully, has lost her father, Aramus, behind the Grey Line, an impenetrable wall of mist hovering over the West Waters stretching endless from north to south, and towering from ocean crest to dark sky above.
Nothing has ever come from, or survived entering, the historic monolith. The great hero Aramus felt a calling from the Grey Line and crossed, despite the dangers. And like countless warriors, vagabonds, fugitives and fortune seekers before him, never returned. Now, his daughter Gully and her unlikely band of adventurers venture into the mist to uncover her father’s mission.
News of the game's Kickstarter was initially revealed in a feature on Polygon on September 1, 2015. A week later, on September 8, 2015, the game's Kickstarter launched with an initial goal of $500,000. On September 10, 2015, (within 72 hours of the Kickstarter's launch) the game reached its $500,000 goal allowing additional funds to go towards stretch goals. On October 10, 2015, the Kickstarter ended raising a grand total of $856,354 dollars from 14,175 backers.
|$550k||Roaming Airship Priates||Yes|
|$600k||New Area: Wintervein||Yes|
|11k Backers||Battle Chasers #0 for some backers||Yes|
|$675k||New playable hero: Devil Hunter Alumon||Yes|
|11.5k Backers||Release of a new track from the OST||Yes|
|$700k||Expanded set of in-game equippable weapons||Yes|
|12k Backers||Combat Portraits||Yes|
|$725k||Alternate hero appearances||Yes|
|12.5k Backers||Joe Mad AMA||Yes|
|$800k||Arena Battle Mode||Yes|
|$900k||New area: Mana Rifts||Yes (Post KS)|
|$950k||More 2D Animation||Yes (Post KS)|
|$1M||Voice acting||Yes (Post KS)|
Battle Chasers: Nightwar received "generally favorable" reviews on Metacritic getting a metascore of 78/100 on PC, 75/100 on PS4, 84/100 on Xbox One, and 80/100 on Nintendo Switch. On whatoplay.com, it holds an aggregate score (playscore) of 8.13 on PC, 8.48 on PS4, 8.22 on Xbox One, 8.09 on Nintendo Switch, and 7.75 on iOS.
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/1/9211217/battle-chasers-nightwar-joe-madureira
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar/description Battle Chasers: Nightwar Kickstarter
- ↑ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar/posts/1350695 KS Update #4
- ↑ Metascore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on PCMetacritic, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on PS4Metacritic, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on Xbox OneMetacritic, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on Nintendo SwitchMetacritic, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ playscore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on PCwhatoplay.com, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ playscore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on PS4whatoplay.com, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ playscore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on Xbox Onewhatoplay.com, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ playscore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on Nintendo Switchwhatoplay.com, Retrieved March 26, 2020
- ↑ playscore for Battle Chasers: Nightwar on iOSwhatoplay.com, Retrieved March 26, 2020